Released: January 27, 2022
Delaware County’s Department of Records and Archives and the Blue Star Memorial Highway Program of National Garden Clubs, Inc., is looking for information regarding two Blue Star Markers that were purchased on February 18, 1948, for Media, Pennsylvania. The 73-year old markers were created to honor World War II Veterans.
The Blue Star Program began in 1945 to honor the men and women serving in the Armed Forces during World War ll. The original Blue Star Highway started in New Jersey and ended in California. Additional routes were added, north to south.
According to the National Garden Clubs, Inc. (NGC) records, the first two markers purchased for Pennsylvania were in 1948 and were meant to be placed in Media, Pennsylvania. It isn’t known if and where they were ever placed.
Anyone with information on where these markers were placed, who ordered them, or where they may be stored is asked to contact:
Sandy Manthorpe, Blue Star Chair
District # 1 and Eastern PA., GCFP
Matthew Millison, Records & Archives Coordinator
Delaware County Archives