Divorce Information

 Home / Departments / Office of Judicial Support / Divorce Information

How do I obtain a copy of my divorce papers?

To obtain copies of any document, you must first know the docket number, which is discoverable by the use of our public access screen (Click “Public Access”, and then “Civil Docket”).

The order divorcing the parties, the “Divorce Decree”, is available to anyone. You should send a self-addressed stamped envelope to us, along with a money order. The cost of a simple copy is $1.00 and the cost of each certified copy is $6.00. Send them to:

Office of Judicial Support
Civil Filing Room
201 West Front Street
Media, PA 19063

If you want to see any other part of the file, or copy any of the pages, you must appear personally in the office with photo identification such as a driver’s license. Only the parties and their attorney of record may see a divorce file. While here, you may request a copy of any page from the file. The costs will be as indicated above.

OJS only keeps files for the current year, and the five prior years in the office. If the file you want is within that time, then you may come without prior arrangement. If the file was opened prior to that time, then you should call first to request the file be brought from archives so that it will be here when you arrive. Call (610) 891-4324 or (610) 891-4370.

Is the form to obtain a copy of my divorce papers available online?

No. See above for method.

How do I file for divorce without an attorney?

In order to file for a divorce, you will need to appear in the Office of judical Support with a Complaint and all appropriate attendant documents. The filing fee begins at $280.50, but goes up if there are additional counts. Generally, it is not easy to file a divorce without an attorney, and you may wish to contact the Delaware County Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service located at Front and Lemon Streets, P.O. Box 466 Media, PA 19063. The telephone number is (610) 566-6625. In the alternative, you may also wish to contact the Legal Aid of Southeastern Pennsylvania at 877-429-5994.

I am divorced. How do I revert back to my old name?

Once a divorce is filed, a form entitled “Notice of Election to Retake Maiden Name” may be filed. The form is available in our Office, or you may get it from your attorney. There is a filing fee of $23.50 ($24.50 after July 1), and each certified copy is $5.95. You often need a certified copy for agencies such as PennDOT or the Social Security Administration. Payment for copies is by cash only.

Contact Us

  •   201 West Front Street,
         Media, PA 19063
  •   8:30AM - 4:30PM
           Monday - Friday
  •   610-891-4000
  • webmaster@co.delaware.pa.us

About Delaware County

Delaware County, presently consisting of over 184 square miles divided into forty-nine municipalities is the oldest settled section of Pennsylvania.

Read more